Updated Public Sale FAQ
Addtional Info Coming Soon
1. I have never been to an auto auction and I do not know what to do!! HELP!
NEVER FEAR! THAT IS WHAT WE DO AND WE HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR OVER 40 YEARS!
2. How and when do I register as a buyer?
Bidding registration is held in the abc Virginia Public Auto Auction office weekly starting at 8 am each Saturday.
3. Is there a fee to register as a buyer?
Registration fee for public bidders is FREE.
4. What information do you need to register as a buyer?
A drivers License or State ID is required for all public buyers.
5. Do I have to pay for the vehicle that I buy right away?
Yes. You must take your signed contract immediately to the office and pay for the car before bidding on another car. We require an initial payment of 10% of total or $500, whichever is greater. The balance must be paid by Noon on the Tuesday following the sale or your initial payment will be forfeited.
6. What kind of payment is accepted?
Cash, Cashier's Check, Debit Cards, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express Credit Cards.
7. Is there a charge for using a Credit or Debit Card?
Yes, there is a 5% surcharge for processing a credit or debit card.
8. Is there a limit on Credit Card Transactions?
Yes, the maximum allow to be charged to a Credit Card is $1,000.00.
9. Are personal Checks acceptable?
No, personal check will not be accepted as payment.
10. Can I bring my children?
Children, under 18 years in age, are not allowed in the bid lanes or on the lot for obvious safety reasons.
11. Will I get the title to my car the same day?
Titles may be available after 1 pm on the following Monday if the title is presented by the seller on sale day or before noon Monday.
12. Does the seller have to tell me if they have the title?
Yes, if they do not represent the title status correctly. The buyer may refuse the transaction.
13. What does TA mean?
TA, T/A, Title Absent, Title Attached. This means that the seller does not have the title to present at time of sale. Also called a Delayed Title, this means the seller has up to 30 Days from the date of sale to present the title. This condition must be announced at time of sale.
14. What if the title is not available on sale day?
The auctioneer will announce it before bidding begins.
15. If I register for abc Virginia Public Auto Auction may I attend the Auction on Wednesday?
Public business will not be held on Wednesdays during our dealer-only sale.
16. Can I inspect the vehicles before I buy them?
Yes, starting at 8AM on Saturday and Friday from Noon-3PM.
17. Can I take a car that I am interested in for a test drive?
You may start them, but not drive them! Due to insurance restrictions we cannot allow buyers to test drive. The auction includes a vehicle verification on Green Light vehicles to verify operability at time of sale.
18. What guarantees do I get when I buy a car at Public Auction?
None, there is no guarantee. The auctioneer will announce how the car is being represented and the light system on the auction block will reflect the same, but the auction does NOT guarantee vehicles.
20. What about state inspections?
Cars consigned by dealers are required to have a current inspection sticker.
21. Why don't the Bank cars have inspection Stickers?
Repossessed cars or cars being sold by charitable organizations are not required to have a current inspection sticker.
22. Why do some cars have Rejection Stickers?
Dealers may offer a vehicle with current rejection stickers accompanied by the inspection documentation.
23. Does the Auction offer a Mechanical Inspection?
No, mechanical inspections should be done by your mechanic. The auction offers a vehicle verification to substantiate the seller representation.
25. Will there be food available?
A food stand is available in the lanes for hot dogs, burgers etc., as well as vending machines.
26. Do I have to take the car home the same day?
Vehicles should be removed as soon as possible. Cars left on the lot after two business days will be charged $20 a day for storage!
27. If I leave it until Tuesday, how safe is it?
DO NOT move your vehicle to the front lot! IT WILL BE TOWED and YOU WILL INCUR STORAGE CHARGES! The fenced area behind the auction is open 24 hours every day for your vehicle removal and is protected by security guards and a high tech security system. NOTE: NO PUBLIC BUSINESS IS ALLOWED DURING OUR DEALER-ONLY SALE ON WEDNESDAY.
28. Does abc Virginia Auto Auction provide license tags for me to use to drive my car home?
No. The buyer is responsible for making arrangements to remove the vehicle by the Tuesday after the sale. Travel permits good for three days are also available from the DMV or you may obtain one online at the DMV website.
29. I have a DMV dealer license but I have never registered at your auction. Can I register on Saturdays?
We will be happy to provide you with an application packet that you can complete and return at a later date, but there will be no dealer registration available at the Saturday public sale. Registration as a dealership will give you access to Wednesday and Saturday sales. You are welcome to register as a public buyer in the meantime.